Skip to main content

Self Esteem

       When I was 10 or 11 years old, I was accused of having low self esteem. I use the word accused because you have no idea how much it felt like an accusation. At that age I was dealing with spiritual guilt for moral sins, truly understanding that my father did not like my mother, switching to a new junior high school and now I had to deal with projecting to my parents that I felt really good about myself. Now, I have no doubt that all of the previously mentioned burdens were factors in my low self esteem. I literally felt as if I was headed for hell at that age. How can one feel good about themselves when they are hell bound? I realized that I could keep my father home much less than my mother could. How could I feel good about myself when my father did not want me? My new school was filled with 11-year-olds who looked like they were 31 (no joke. Can someone say growth hormone?). How could I feel good about myself when I had male counterparts who were comparing my physical attributes to 31-year-old body parts? Last but not least, it does not feel good to be told you have low self esteem. In fact, I believe people use it as ammunition in arguments. My brothers did it often (although I'm quite sure they did not understand what it meant fully).  My ex-boyfriend (who shall remain nameless) only told the truth during arguments, which is when he would use the low-self-esteem bomb which left me with no good comeback and hurt (low blow if you ask me).
        For a long while, I thought that people just diagnosed me wrong. I thought I looked pretty but I was realistic so I understood that my appearance did not compete well with others of my age. Besides that, people do not truly want to be around someone who is haughty and proud and stuck on themselves all the time, or do they? People throughout my life have wanted to be around the proud and haughty. And just because I fear being proud or haughty, does not mean I have to go to the other extreme of extreme lowliness. (But wasn't Jesus meek and lowly? Another blog, another time).
        Speaking directly about my physical appearance, I was made/created to have a high regard toward myself. I can walk into any store and find something that would fit me.  My skin is soft and flawless (most of the time). My eyes are gorgeous. My natural hair is admired by white people. My legs are long. My neck is gracious. My pretty parts definitely out weigh my flaws and yet I act as if I am ashamed of all the great things that make me ...me in order to make my chubbier/shorter/ flatter sisters feel better. In regards to the diet I have chosen, I should not apologize for being a total vegetarian, but every time I walk into a restaurant that does not cater to my diet, I feel like I'm a burden to those serving me, when that's their actual job. My diet gives me a particular choice in what I can and cannot eat and yet I chose not to be picky about the taste and/or preparation of the food because I do not want to be a burden. I am pursuing a Masters in teaching and I have already graduated with a Bachelors in English Language Arts. I'm going to travel abroad (as I have done before) to teach and then pursue my Doctorate in 5 years time. I am that good stuff and I'm going to start treating myself like it. God, "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." Psalms 139: 14

Check out this video! BeautifulBrwnBabyDol does a good job on speaking on the subject and I definitely recommend watching this video and the whole series.

5 things I like about myself:
1) My eyes
2) My sense of humor
3) My skin
4) My thinness
5) My voice

5 goals I have for myself:
1) Masters by the end of this year - Doctorate in Psych in 5 years.
2) Make my own song by the end of the summer.
3) Long hair in 2 years
4) Traveling abroad for missions (spanish-speaking country) in two years
5) Learning a New language in two years ( connected with goal number 4)

Next blog post: Sorry ya'll but Malcolm is going to have to wait until Wednesday. I got homework assignments that I have not taken into consideration but they do come first. But Malcolm is super important, too.
By Thursday, I want to update my Don Lemon post
By Friday, Kwanzaa celebration here we come!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go Shorty! It's Your Birthday!

Yeah right. I did my hair. Actually my friend did it for me. My ends are a little frazzled. Unfortunately, the lady that I wanted to cut my hair waited until it was too late to contact me. She wants to reschedule for next week and if my hair is indicator now, she will be cutting off at least an inch, which means protective styles for the rest of the year. So I didn't get a proper trim because she was not free for the time she scheduled me. My ends look horrid!  But I look fly. We fly high, no lie,... Yeah... So anyway... Praise God I'm 26 years old. In other news, focusing on God is getting harder. But I am up for the challenge. I need to be in order to come correct with God. And be prepared for Jesus and other things.

Dreams never lived

We have to get rid of the idea that we understand ourselves,... -Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest I've been ignoring this idea for a couple of days, that I have not accomplished things that I have shied away from for whatever reason. It's depressing to think of how far I've gone from my unfulfilled dreams. I always settle for less than best.  I've dreamed of changing the youth program over here in California where I attend church. Never did it. I've dreamed of empowering my young people back home to make changes. Never did it. I've dreamed of becoming a Senior Youth Leader. Never finished! I've dreamed of being a Medical Missionary. Not accomplished. I dreamed of sining my own songs before people. Not done yet. I dreamed of writing tons of books. Completely unfulfilled. So in listening to the motivational speeches, I focus on things that I can do in the future rather than the things in the past that I have not accomplished but in truth, they

Complaining

Quite recently, I was speaking about having to wake up early in the morning in order to get a ride to the school. I was definitely hurt when someone responded and said that I was always complaining. Every once in a while, this person has hinted that I whine and complain. I was annoyed because to be quite honest I would love to use this person for a character comparison. Unfortunately, I actually like this person, which is why it hurt when I heard this person say this. Which made me think: Does this person even want to be around me? They don't respond to my texts and they give me strange looks. Unfortunately, I do complain but not in the spirit of being mean spirited and pessimistic. But mostly in the spirit of needing something to talk about. It annoys me that my life is only summed up in the amount of things I can complain about. It annoys me that I am not joyful enough to be better.Help me Jesus to be better. Phillipians 2:  14  Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15  t