Skip to main content

Testimonies Part 1: "Waiting for the Big Reveal"

My friend Shar (who is a youth leader over here) has a daughter who is not living up to all the truth she has. Basically, she knows Jesus is real and she believes in the Bible but she wants to party it up while she is in college. She says, " Mom, I don't have a story." Now you know what she is talking about when she says story. She's talking about that big testimony in which God intervenes in the life in a very remarkable way. She parties waiting for God's big reveal. Unfortunately, this reminds me of all the times when Jesus was asked for a sign, or what we will call a "big reveal", so that people would know He is who he says He is.

In Matthew 12, he tells them the only sign would be the sign of Jonah. Luke 11 presents the same sign of Jonah. The sign of Jonah points towards the death of Christ (3 days in the belly of the earth) and to the life of Christ (testifies as a prophet). In Matthew 16, he adds an implication that there are signs available but they are foolish for not discerning them. In Mark 8, he denies them any sign, outright. In John 2, he presents the controversial "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up" which again points towards his death. Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 1 that the Jews asked for a sign, but Jesus was a stumbling block for them.

It seems as if whenever people who have knowledge of God ask God for a sign in order for them to believe, they do not receive a sign in the way they want it. This is not good because the Jewish nation, teachers and all, rejected Christ to the point of capital punishment and it stands as their condemnation. People who are knowledgeable of Jesus but reject Him because they believe God has not revealed Himself to them should be wary. Chances are they will never receive the sign they request as they reject God. In fact, they are preparing themselves to reject God later on. Be wary my friends because through out the Bible there are stories of people who knew God but insisted on departing from God's will and died without receiving any big reveal.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Die, Chick, Die!

Yeah...problems. I have cried more in these last weeks in front of people than I ever have.  First last week, I cried because I made mistakes. This week, I cried because I interjected in a confrontation between John and Nadine ( my host parents) and I felt so justified but I suppose the Holy Spirit is working in me, or maybe it was self rising up in me but I felt remorseful about my outburst and I cried in front of them again as I was apologizing to John. Poor John. Poor host  family. I believe crying is a response to the books I've been reading about dying to self. But I cannot discern whether it is the Holy Spirit or self that is causing this emotional response in me. But I am realizing the futility of self and it sucks being unstable. In other news, My hair is a mess. I slept on my twistout last night becasue I didn't want to twist them over again and risk more breakage. One side of my head is all straggly and the other side is full and luscious...

Losing my life

Hiya! Yeah...no. I'm not practicing karate. I'm trying to sho the whole outfit and click on the upload pic button at the same time. I'm going to a sonogram. One of my new friends is having a baby and inviting the whole young adult bible study to be there. While many may believe this is private moment for the family, I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to spend some time with this people and show myself friendly. While I do understand how easy it would be for me to stay at home and just chill, I am usually a social person that wants to be outside the house and I refuse to be antisocial today when I  could experiencing something new. I live for others. Oh I forgot the shoes. And what if I'm wearing 5 different browns, including my skin color? LOL! Is the oufit appropriate? Let me know! Luke 9:24

Part 1: Raise Your Kids Right

Burning the Midnight Oil... "Who taught you to hate who you are?"  I think it's important for me to quote something I mentioned before "No t only do white people view us as less than but we also view ourselves as less then or in comparison to them ." The need we have to compare ourselves to others is so strong. And it is made fairly easy because we don't set our own standard for what is beautiful, acceptable and palatable. The society on a whole sets that standard. The society of America is %70 white. Malcolm X calls in to question the need for our society to set the standard. Why can't you as the individual set that standard? Why are you begging for access from a society who unintentionally or intentionally sees you as less than themselves? Set your own standard. Create your own access. What I believe factored into the strength of Malcolm X's convictions was his upbringing. His parents were followers of Marcus Garvey and they celebrated black pr...