Skip to main content

White people

"The vast ignorance..."

I live with white people right now in California. Older more mature white people have sense and even though they may believe something ridiculous about black people, they have enough sense to keep most of that crap in their heads (even then, some ignorance leaks out). Unfortunately, I am among younger people all the time and they say things like, "I like your kind of black people then regular black people." (this child speaks in reference to the fact that my heritage is Caribbean, specifically Grenadian.) I do not even believe he under stands the richness of Caribbean culture and how it has defined me as a person, nor does he not understand that I better associate with "regular" black people over white people. He probably saw a video of some Rastafarian men and thought they were cool.   The joke mentioned about how I can only see your teeth on the dark was almost close to n-word status. Or the big teeth/smile that all white people seem to notice first. I love being black. If given the choice between being black or Hispanic, my black pride will not let me chose Hispanic. But people who could get away with making a choice for either ethnicity will definitely try. This entry may have seemed to be all over the place but this is just snippets of what I may expand on as I continue to blog. I'm going to take sometime in my blog to address the the ignorance that white people have of black culture, yet recognizing the over-indulgence that black people have of white culture. It is insane to be so under-educated about a major minority group within your country. Please take some time to watch the above video. Jesus loves all of ya'll. (Interpretation: Jesus love all of you all)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hair...out here in the boonies

Here's a hair update... So Korean! Look at that forehead! LML! These are some twists on a lazy Sunday Morning. Can't wait till my eye lashes and eyebrow grows back in so I could start looking less raggedy...ugh. LOL But don't my teeth look gorgeous? I left my home in Brooklyn, NY with absolutely no hair products. I know what you're thinking... AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! LOL. My bag was already over weight I was not looking forward to paying another 100 bucks to satisfy my hair's obsession with moisture. I lie. I did bring one thing with me. Kinky Curly Knot Today... A friend gave it to me and said it would be good for my curl pattern. I usually mix it with Aloe Vera juice and oils from Kimmaytube's recipe but I decided maybe I could use it by itself...super wrong. Apparently my hair has to be super wet to use it. My hair was so sticky when I first used it as a leave in by itself. I felt like it wasn't doing any good in my hair. So I mixed it with olive oi...

My hair and discipleship

Oh man it has been a while since I've wrote in this. So let's start with my hair. Can you tell from the pic that I'm feeling my eyes? Can't wait til I can wear my contacts! Back to my hair! Right now, It's in some mini twists. This morning I washed it with tresseme naturals conditioner (the moisture one) and I left it in all day. Unfortunately, that also did nothing much to retain moisture but create a gel-like hold. The only thing that seems to work is when I put oil in my hair and I pull in back in one . So I just put water, oil and kckt in it from root to tip and I'm going to leave it out and see how my hair keeps the moisture. If this does not work, I'm going to have to invest in a good wig or moisturize every six hours, because this dry climate is going to break off all this hair I'm trying to grow. And yes, I have been watching vids with girls that have ridiculously long hair. SMH! This past weekend, I attended a discipleship training, in whi...

Die, Chick, Die!

Yeah...problems. I have cried more in these last weeks in front of people than I ever have.  First last week, I cried because I made mistakes. This week, I cried because I interjected in a confrontation between John and Nadine ( my host parents) and I felt so justified but I suppose the Holy Spirit is working in me, or maybe it was self rising up in me but I felt remorseful about my outburst and I cried in front of them again as I was apologizing to John. Poor John. Poor host  family. I believe crying is a response to the books I've been reading about dying to self. But I cannot discern whether it is the Holy Spirit or self that is causing this emotional response in me. But I am realizing the futility of self and it sucks being unstable. In other news, My hair is a mess. I slept on my twistout last night becasue I didn't want to twist them over again and risk more breakage. One side of my head is all straggly and the other side is full and luscious...