Skip to main content

WWAD?

What would adults do? I know that sounds funny and weird. But let me give you some background. When I was a child I used to sing the Toys"r"us song with the hopes that I would be a kid forever. Not really liked Peter Pan but more like I dd not want the accountability, the responsibility and the boringness of being an adult. So even when all my friends were with guys and doing adults, I loved being a child doing childish things. But even I must admit that a lot of my thought processes were very adult-like. Even to this day, I get along better with people that are younger than me.  Which landed me in a peculiar situation a couple of weeks ago. I hang out with this girl who is at least 10 years younger than me. I was babysitting her for the weekend so I took her out with me and some guys friends. Later, after speaking with one of these guy friends, something was revealed to me. He told me that when I was around the young girl. I acted girlie. In my mind, I went, "Here goes somebody else trying to tell me to act more mature. SMH. Don't they know already that I will never grow up?" LOL. When I asked him what he meant by girlie, he completely floored me. He said he got the vibe that I was trying to get a boyfriend. My jaw dropped. That was completely out of left field. I was not expecting that. It's not that I have never been accuse of being a flirt before. In fact, I have on a number of occasions. It's just that I did not see that at all. And I wasn't trying to do that at all. So for a whole week or two. I felt super awkward around this guy because I did not know how to act in a way that did not make him feel as if I was coming on to some guy. You see, if anyone knows me, they know that I look negatively on the institution if marriage. I recognize that it is a God-sanctioned institution. But my experience with marriage has been...negative. Let's just say God will let me know when he thinks I am ready for marriage. In my need to appear friendly and to be accepted, I came off as if I was trying to get a boyfriend. SMH! Which in a way, is childish. Sad story! Someone accused me of being childish. I was quite impressed a little because Jesus admonishes his disciples to be as children. But I'm starting to realize that my need to please other and to be accepted by others is super childish. Case in point, last night, a child whom I care for dearly accused me of getting him into trouble. At that moment I realized that he does respect me as an adult because he feels I am playing. My need to please him, makes him view me as a child. Another of my students said the same thing, that they do not view me as an adult. I have to pray about it but I realize something has to change. 1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. I trust God with my maturity, my need to please others and my relationships. Because clearly, I haven't handled them well.

Hair update: I can't take hair pics anymore. But I finally washed my hair last week with cornrows in the front and mini twist in the back. I like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My hair...out here in the boonies

Here's a hair update... So Korean! Look at that forehead! LML! These are some twists on a lazy Sunday Morning. Can't wait till my eye lashes and eyebrow grows back in so I could start looking less raggedy...ugh. LOL But don't my teeth look gorgeous? I left my home in Brooklyn, NY with absolutely no hair products. I know what you're thinking... AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! LOL. My bag was already over weight I was not looking forward to paying another 100 bucks to satisfy my hair's obsession with moisture. I lie. I did bring one thing with me. Kinky Curly Knot Today... A friend gave it to me and said it would be good for my curl pattern. I usually mix it with Aloe Vera juice and oils from Kimmaytube's recipe but I decided maybe I could use it by itself...super wrong. Apparently my hair has to be super wet to use it. My hair was so sticky when I first used it as a leave in by itself. I felt like it wasn't doing any good in my hair. So I mixed it with olive oi...

My hair and discipleship

Oh man it has been a while since I've wrote in this. So let's start with my hair. Can you tell from the pic that I'm feeling my eyes? Can't wait til I can wear my contacts! Back to my hair! Right now, It's in some mini twists. This morning I washed it with tresseme naturals conditioner (the moisture one) and I left it in all day. Unfortunately, that also did nothing much to retain moisture but create a gel-like hold. The only thing that seems to work is when I put oil in my hair and I pull in back in one . So I just put water, oil and kckt in it from root to tip and I'm going to leave it out and see how my hair keeps the moisture. If this does not work, I'm going to have to invest in a good wig or moisturize every six hours, because this dry climate is going to break off all this hair I'm trying to grow. And yes, I have been watching vids with girls that have ridiculously long hair. SMH! This past weekend, I attended a discipleship training, in whi...

Die, Chick, Die!

Yeah...problems. I have cried more in these last weeks in front of people than I ever have.  First last week, I cried because I made mistakes. This week, I cried because I interjected in a confrontation between John and Nadine ( my host parents) and I felt so justified but I suppose the Holy Spirit is working in me, or maybe it was self rising up in me but I felt remorseful about my outburst and I cried in front of them again as I was apologizing to John. Poor John. Poor host  family. I believe crying is a response to the books I've been reading about dying to self. But I cannot discern whether it is the Holy Spirit or self that is causing this emotional response in me. But I am realizing the futility of self and it sucks being unstable. In other news, My hair is a mess. I slept on my twistout last night becasue I didn't want to twist them over again and risk more breakage. One side of my head is all straggly and the other side is full and luscious...